Healthy Air Episode #10
Building Better Buildings Together | Vicki Worden
In this episode, Vicki Worden talks about one of Green Building Initiative’s signature programs, the Green Globes certification. She explains how it stands apart from other building certification programs, its cost, and its scoring system. She also shares how health and wellness are incorporated in what GBI offers and how they helped clients in response to the pandemic.
Vicki Worden is the President and CEO of the Green Building Initiative, a nonprofit organization dedicated to making buildings healthy places to live and work while reducing their impacts on the environment. GBI makes aspirational goals achievable through user-friendly tools built upon comprehensive standards and supported by outstanding staff and expert assessors. GBI has third-party certified 1000s of buildings across North America. Its Green Globes certification and Guiding Principles Compliance verification program support every building situation, from individual buildings with sole owners to some of the largest corporate and government portfolio owners in the world, including the Department of Defense in both the US and Canada.
Keeping air safe has never been more important. Now that we are in the next normal, it is critical that the air we breathe in shared indoor spaces is healthy and safe for continued occupancy. Are we ready to face this challenge and mitigate airborne exposure risk indoors? Welcome to Healthy Air, a podcast that talks about the future of buildings and how to keep air safe and healthy. Keep up with the latest industry trends, latest technologies, and regulatory changes with your host, Erik Malmstrom, industry experts, and the SafeTraces team here on Healthy Air.
- An overview of Vicki’s background [1:23]
- Overview of GBI’s mission, priorities, reach, and structure [4:31]
- Green Globes certification program [6:07]
- GBI’s scoring system [10:54]
- How GBI reconciled sustainability, health, wellness, and its standards during the pandemic [14:45]
- Challenges in 2021 [17:54]
- GBI’s future direction [20:01]
- GBI’s concerns and discussions [21:59]
- The changes Vicki foresees over the next ten years [24:37]
- What technologies move the needle of GBI’s mission [26:39]
- How Vicki stays on top of the pulse and the bleeding edge of the market [28:14]
- Vicki’s thoughts on the industry moving to gender equity [30:54]